1st Generation Central Market

1st Generation Central Market

1st Generation Central Market

After the occupation of Hong Kong Island in 1841, the British needed to establish a variety of buildings and facilities. The resulted influx of Chinese artisans and food traders called for the need of market place. It was documented1 that Central Market was formally opened to the south of its present site on 10th June 1842 and farmed out to a Chinese, called Afoon.
1 Eitel, E. J. (1895). Europe in China: The History of Hongkong from the Beginning to the year 1882. Hong Kong: Kelly & Walsh, Ch. 8

2nd Generation Central Market

2nd Generation Central Market

2nd Generation Central Market

Taiping Rebellion in China induced another influx of Chinese escaped to Hong Kong. The rapid population growth resulted in a demand for new markets. The 2nd Generation Central Market was believed to be established in 1850s at the present location of Central Market.

3rd Generation Central Market

3rd Generation Central Market

3rd Generation Central Market

Photos Courtesy of Dr Joseph Sun Pao Ting

The construction works for the 3rd Generation Central Market started in 1889 and was completed in 1895. The building was consisted of two 2-storeys blocks with a central avenue in between. The walls of the building were red brick with granite stone dressings.

4th Generation Central Market (Current Building)

4th Generation Central Market (Current Building)

4th Generation Central Market (Current Building)

Photo Courtesy of Development Bureau

The 4th Generation Central Market is a 4-storey building built in 1939, being an exemplification of the Streamline Moderne style of the time. It is characterized by the slim horizontal lines and functionalism of the building. The building has a total of 255 market stalls, an open Atrium is located at the center of the building.

Name Changed to “中央市場”

Name Changed to “中央市場”

Name Changed to “中央市場”

Photo Courtesy of Mr. Cheng Baohong

During the Japanese Occupation, the Chinese name of the market was converted from中環街市 to中央市場.

Façade Facing Des Voeux Road Central Demolished

Façade Facing Des Voeux Road Central Demolished

Façade Facing Des Voeux Road Central Demolished

Photo Courtesy of Mr. Cheng Baohong

Central Market was converted to form part of the Mid-levels Escalator System. The façade facing Des Voeux Road Central was demolished, building alteration works include the addition of G/F – 2/F escalators, lift, staircases and public toilets and removal of some market food stalls to provide retail spaces and public linkage.

Name Changed back to “中環街市”

Name Changed back to “中環街市”

Name Changed back to “中環街市”

The name "中環街市" was resumed 52 years after it was renamed as "中央市場" during Japanese occupation.

Central Escalator Link Alley Shopping Arcade

Central Escalator Link Alley Shopping Arcade

Central Escalator Link Alley Shopping Arcade

1994, part of the Central Market was converted to the Central Escalator Link Alley Shopping Arcade which is the starting point of the Mid-levels escalator system.

Ceased operation'

Ceased operation

Ceased operation

In March 2003, Central Market ceased operation.

Revitalisation Announced

Removed from the Application List

Revitalisation Announced

In the Chief Executive’s 2009-10 Policy Address, Central Market was announced to be removed from the Land Application List and handed over to the Urban Renewal Authority for conservation and revitalisation.


Location

93 Queen's Road Central and 80 Des Voeux Road Central, Central, Hong Kong